Sunday, February 5, 2012

Independence Day Challenge

First, a thanks to Judy over at My Freezer is Full for posting this.  She got the Independence Day Challenge from Sharon Astyk at her blog here.  It is a really great idea on how to learn and grow in your self-sufficiency.  I love it!


So here we go. I'm going to cut and paste some of the instructions from the other blogs, that way I get it right.  There is a bit too it and I don't want to get it wrong.  =)


These are the categories:



Plant something:  This may be a bit difficult at first as we are still in winter, but you could do something as simple as sprout seeds for adding right into your food.  That sounds yummy and healthy.  As spring comes closer, planting seeds in doors and then finally outside. 
Preserve something: There are good buys I catch at my local market for a whole fryer chicken.  During the winter when I haven't had any produce to put up I get these, boil the whole thing and can they chicken and the broth.  Or if you find a good deal on bacon or maybe if you have your own chickens or rabbits or you hubby brought home a nice deer.  Can it!  When produce is back in season - there ya go.  Dry out some fresh spices and can/jar them up!
Waste not: Start a compost pile.  Use your recycling bin.  Figure out how to reduce your carbon foot print but reduce, reuse, recycle.
Want Not: Stock up on the things you use, so when times are lean or there is some sort of emergency that keeps you home bound or unable to go to the store you can still take care of you and yours.
Eat the Food: Store what you eat, eat what you store.  Find some good cookbooks that teach you how to use food storage if you don't know how.  There are quite a few of them out there.
Build community food systems: What have you done to help other people have better food access or to make your local food system more resilient?  (*I'm leaving this one like I copied it because there isn't a way for me to restate it so that it will make sense.  =)
Skill up:  Add to your skill base.  Learn to crochet, fix a toilet, build a shed, chop wood.  Whatever.  Learn - always learn.
Check in is every friday.  Blog about how you've done in these area's.  It should be fun!  I'm looking forward to it!
God Bless!  Happy Prepping  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment